Parliament Update – Week of March 21, 2016
Due to the Easter holiday, this was a short and, yet, productive week:
- On Monday there was an Opposition Motion by the Conservative Party to recognize the work being done by Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom and to call on the government to renew the current mandate of the Office.
- The Liberal Government tabled its 2016-2017 Budget on Tuesday. See where the government is spending your taxes at: http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/home-accueil-en.html
- Debate for the Budget was suspended on Wednesday due to the sudden passing of Conservative MP Jim Hillyer. I extend my deepest condolences to his wife, Livi, and their four children.
- Debate resumed on Bill C-7, An Act to amend the Public Service Labour Relations Act, the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board Act and other Acts and to provide for certain other measures. I spoke on this bill and how it will impact the RCMP on Thursday, March 24. My comments can be found on page 24 of the following link: http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/035/HAN035-E.PDF
- For more details on bills before Parliament, please see: http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/Home.aspx?language=E&ParliamentSession=42-1
Throughout the week, I attended 7 meetings and 4 events. The House will be down over the course of the next two weeks, and my next update will be on my travels in the riding during that time.