Parliament Update – Week of May 16, 2016
Parliament caught international headlines this week, as physician-assisted dying entered its final stages; a bill to protect transgender rights was tabled by the Liberal Government, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau aggressively guided a Conservative member towards his seat.
The following was brought before the House:
- Conservative Private Member’s Bill C-230 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code (firearm — definition of variant)
- Conservative Private Member’s Bill C-229 – Life Means Life Act
- Bill C-2 – An Act to amend the Income Tax Act
- Bill C-11 – An Act to amend the Copyright Act (access to copyrighted works or other subject-matter for persons with perceptual disabilities). This bill passed third reading and is now in the Senate.
- Bill C-14 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code and to make related amendments to other Acts (medical assistance in dying) was debated further. Voting is expected to take place next week.
- Bill C-10 – An Act to amend the Air Canada Public Participation Act and to provide for certain other measures.
- Bill C-16 – An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code (the bill to protect transgender rights) was tabled.
- Liberal Motion No. 24 – Tamil Heritage Month
- Question of Privilege: ‘physical molestation of the Member from Berthier – Maskinongé’, when the Prime Minister’s aggressive behaviour infringed on the Member’s right to vote.
I had the opportunity to ask the Government questions on two separation occasions as to what actions they are taking on the Mountain Pine Beetle moving through Jasper National Park, slowly making its way into Alberta’s forests: http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/056/HAN056-E.PDF on page 32, and http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/057/HAN057-E.PDF on page 39.
This week the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development continued to study and hear witnesses regarding federal protected areas and conservation objectives, and began a review of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999. For more information on committee meetings, visit: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI
Throughout the week, I attended nine meetings and five events. As the House is not sitting the week of May 23rd, look for my update next Friday on my travels throughout the riding.