Parliament Update – Week of October 17, 2016
This week in Parliament, we covered a range of topics including ISIS, gender equity, GST rebates for schools, maternity assistance, and human rights.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-4 – An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code, the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act, the Public Service Labour Relations Act and the Income Tax Act (Third Reading)
- Bill C-13 – An Act to amend the Food and Drugs Act, the Hazardous Products Act, the Radiation Emitting Devices Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, and the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (Report Stage & Third Reading)
- Bill C-16 – An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code (Second Reading)
- Bill C-24 – An Act to amend the Salaries Act and to make a consequential amendment to the Financial Administration Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-26 – An Act to amend the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act and the Income Tax Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-225 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code (injuring or causing the death of a preborn child while committing an offence). This bill was defeated at Second Reading in a vote on Wednesday (76 in favour and 209 opposed).
- Bill C-237 – Candidate Gender Equity Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-240 – An Act to amend the Income Tax Act (tax credit – first aid) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-241 – An Act to amend the Excise Tax Act (school authorities) (Second Reading)
- Conservative motion on the Softwood Lumber Agreement
- Bill C-243 – National Maternity Assistance Program Strategy Act (Second Reading)
- Conservative motion concerning genocide of theYazidi people by ISIS
- Motion 42 – Tax Avoidance
On Monday, I participated in the debate on the Conservative motion calling on the Liberal Government to take immediate action on softwood lumber. The government failed to negotiate a final agreement with the U.S. before the expiry of the last trade agreement on October 12, 2016. You can read my comments at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/091/HAN091-E.PDF (beginning on page 49).
This week in the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we discussed Federal Protected Areas and Conservation Objectives. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI
This week, I attended 14 meetings and two events. My next update will be on the happenings of Parliament as it continues to sit next week.