Parliament Update – Week of October 24, 2016
This week in Parliament, we covered topics including the Canada Pension Plan, the government’s budget, immigration, and First Nations children.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-25 – An Act to amend the Canada Business Corporations Act, the Canada Cooperatives Act, the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, and the Competition Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-26 – An Act to amend the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act and the Income Tax Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-29 – Budget Implementation Act No. 2 (Second Reading)
- Bill C-224 – Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act (Report Stage)
- Bill S-201 – Genetic Non-Discrimination Act (Second Reading)
- Bill S-208 – An Act Respecting National Seal Products Day (Second Reading)
- Motion No. 39 – Immigration to Atlantic Canada (Resuming Debate on Amendments)
- Motion No. 40 – Abandoned vessels (Resuming Debate on Amendments)
- NDP Motion – Care for First Nations Children
On Tuesday, I participated in the debate on Bill C-26, which would expand the Canada Pension Plan by raising the CPP premium rate. You can read my comments at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/097/HAN097-E.PDF (page 21) .
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we reviewed the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, as well as discussed federal protected areas and conservation objectives. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
On Friday, I presented two petitions calling upon the government to create a national strategy on palliative care. You can find my comments on the corresponding day’s Hansard at http://www.parl.gc.ca/housechamberbusiness/ChamberSittings.aspx.
This week, I attended ten meetings and 4 events. I will be in Edson this weekend to attend a community event. My next update will be on the happenings of Parliament as it continues to sit next week.