Parliament Update – Week of February 20, 2017
This week was a short week in Parliament as Monday was Family Day. We discussed topics including national parks, the carbon tax, preclearance and border security, and the detention and release of criminals.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-18 – An Act to amend the Rouge National Urban Park Act, the Parks Canada Agency Act and the Canada National Parks Act (Report Stage)
- Bill C-23 – An Act respecting the preclearance of persons and goods in Canada and the United States (Second Reading)
- Bill S-217 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code (detention in custody) (Second Reading)
- M-104 – Ottawa River Watershed
- M-105 – Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- M-106 – Seniors
- CPC Opposition Motion – Impact of Carbon Taxes
On Tuesday, I participated in debate on Bill C-18, speaking about ecological integrity in regards to Jasper National Park and Willmore Wilderness Park. On Friday, I spoke on Bill C-23, which would expand preclearance border operations (as we already have established at the Edmonton International Airport) to other airports and train stations throughout Canada. You can read my comments on the corresponding day’s Hansard at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HouseChamberBusiness/ChamberHome.aspx.
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we continued to study federal protected areas and conservation objectives. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
This week, I attended seven meetings and one event. I will be in the riding this weekend to attend an event in Edson and I will remain in the riding as the House will not be sitting next week. My next update will be on my travels throughout our beautiful constituency of Yellowhead.