Parliament Update – Week of April 10, 2017
Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending the Rocky Mountain House Agricultural Society’s “Salute to Agriculture” Banquet in Leslieville. At the event, we recognized the achievements of our local farmers and agricultural community.
It was a short week in Parliament due to the Easter holiday. The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-17 – An Act to amend the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act and to make a consequential amendment to another Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-224 – Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act (Consideration of Messages between the Senate and the House of Commons)
- Bill C-243 – National Maternity Assistance Program Strategy Act (Instruction to Committee)
- Bill C-308 – An Act to provide for the incorporation of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and to make consequential amendments to other Acts (Second Reading)
- Question of privilege (denial of access of Members to the Parliamentary Precinct raised on March 22, 2017)
On Tuesday, I gave a speech and commented on gender equality for women. You can watch the speech on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/jimeglinski.mp/) or read it on the corresponding day’s Debates Hansard at: www.parl.gc.ca/HouseChamberBusiness/ChamberHome.aspx.
On Wednesday, activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai addressed Parliament after receiving an honorary Canadian citizenship. Originally, she was to be presented the honorary citizenship in 2014, but the October ceremony was cancelled due to the deadly Parliament Hill attack.
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we continued our review of The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI
This week, I attended seven meetings and five events. I will be in the riding this weekend for Easter and the next two weeks, as the House will not be sitting. My next update will be on my travels throughout our beautiful constituency of Yellowhead.