Parliament Update – Week of February 4, 2019
This week, we covered topics including Indigenous Languages, taxes, criminal code, and affordable housing.
The following was debated in the House:
- C-78 – Divorce Act (Third Reading)
- C-85 – An Act to amend the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act and to make related amendments to other Acts (Report Stage)
- C-91 – Indigenous Languages Act (Second Reading)
- C-266 – Respecting Families of Murdered and Brutalized Persons Act (Second Reading)
- C-417 – Criminal Code ((disclosure of information by jurors) (Read Second time and Referred to Committee)
- C-428 – Income Tax Act (First Reading)
- CPC Opposition Motion – Taxes
- CPC Opposition Motion – Single Tax Return in Quebec
- NDP Opposition Motion – Affordable Housing
- Motion 174 – National Suicide Prevention Action Plan
- Motion 201 – Employment Insurance
On Monday, in the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security (SECU), we continued to hear from witnesses on Cybersecurity in the Financial Sector as a National Economic Security Issue. This meeting was very informative as it detailed the workings of ethical hackers.
On Wednesday, the SECU Committee continued its study on cybersecurity.
For more information on these meetings, visit the SECU Committee website at www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/SECU
On Thursday, I asked questions and took part in debate on Bill C-91, which would create an independent commissioner for indigenous rights, confirm the government’s belief that indigenous language is part of section 35 of the Charter, and allow the translation of federal services into indigenous languages.
You can read comments and questions from Debates on the House Publications page at www.ourcommons.ca/en
This week, I attended eight meetings, four events, and recorded one taping. I returned to the riding early Friday to prepare for the Yellowhead EDA’s AGM in Edson on February 9th. As Parliament will be down next week, I look forward to my time in the Yellowhead meeting with constituents and attending events.
Look for my update next Friday on my travels throughout the riding.