Parliament Update – Week of January 30, 2017
This week in Parliament, we discussed topics including international trade, palliative care, proper disposal of mercury, gender equality, and American foreign policy.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-30 – Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement Implementation Act (Report Stage)
- Bill C-36 – An Act to amend the Statistics Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-37 – An Act to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and to make related amendments to other Acts (Second Reading)
- Bill C-233 – National Strategy for Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias Act (Report Stage)
- Bill C-238 – National Strategy for Safe and Environmentally Sound Disposal of Lamps Containing Mercury Act (Third Reading)
- Bill C-277 – Framework on Palliative Care in Canada Act (Committee Stage)
- Conservative Motion – Taxes on Health and Dental Care Plans
- Bill C-305 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code (mischief) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-309 – An Act to establish Gender Equality Week (Second Reading)
On Monday, I had the opportunity to make a statement in the House of Commons, encouraging my colleagues to support Bill S-217 (Wynn’s Law). I also made a statement on Friday congratulating Thorsby on achieving “Town” status, and wishing Drayton Valley a happy 60th birthday! You can read my comments on the corresponding day’s Hansard at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HouseChamberBusiness/ChamberHome.aspx.
On Tuesday night, an emergency debate was held concerning President Trump’s executive order to impose a temporary travel ban on refugees and nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries. I encourage you to visit my Facebook page to hear a powerful speech made during the debate by our Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Critic, the Honourable Michelle Rempel (www.facebook.com/jimeglinski.mp).
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we are considering a draft report on federally protected areas and conservation objectives. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
This week, I attended eight meetings and one event, as well as recorded two videos. My next update will be on the happenings of Parliament as it continues to sit next week.