Parliament Update – Week of June 13, 2016
June 17, 2016
This week in Parliament, we covered topics including organ donation, marijuana, life sentences, and the constitutional right for Canadians to trade with Canadians (internal trade).
The following was debated:
- Bill C-13 – An Act to amend the Food and Drugs Act, the Hazardous Products Act, the Radiation Emitting Devices Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, the Pest Control Products Act and the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act and to make related amendments to another Act (Second Reading).
- Bill C-6 – An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act (Third Reading).
- Bill C-2 – An Act to amend the Income Tax Act (Third Reading).
- Opposition Motion (NDP) —Decriminalization of Marijuana Possession.
- Opposition Motion (CPC) —Internal Trade (“Free the Beer”).
- Conservative MP Pat Kelly’s Motion No. 43 — Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
- Bill C-223 – An Act to establish the Canadian Organ Donor Registry and to coordinate and promote organ donation throughout Canada (Second Reading).
- Bill C-221 – Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act (Second Reading).
- Bill C-229 – Life Means Life Act (Second Reading). I had the opportunity to speak on this bill. You can find my comments at: www.parl.gc.ca (under “debates”)
The House voted to pass Bill C-210, An Act to amend the National Anthem Act (gender). It has now been sent to the Senate where it will undergo further deliberation
Bill C-14 (medical assistance in dying) was approved by the Senate and received Royal Assent on June 17, 2016
Bill C-7, dealing with the RCMP and possible unionization, is still in the Senate, awaiting approval
This week in the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development, we continued a review of The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, and studied the Federal Sustainable Development Act. For more information on committee meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI
Throughout the week, I attended 13 meetings and three events. As the House has adjourned until the fall, my summer updates on my time in the riding will be sent on a monthly basis.