Parliament Update – Week of June 19, 2017
Before the House adjourned for the summer, several government bills were pushed through to the Senate. The Liberals also made unilateral changes to the Standing Orders that restrict the rights of Opposition parties.
The following was debated:
- Bill C-17 – An Act to amend the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act and to make a consequential amendment to another act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-23 – Preclearance Act, 2016 (Third Reading)
- Bill C-36 – An Act to amend the Statistics Act (Third Reading)
- Bill C-309 – An Act to establish Gender Equality Week (Third Reading)
- Bill C-344 – An Act to amend the Department of Public Works and Government Services Act (community benefit) (Second Reading)
- Bill S-3 – An Act to amend the Indian Act (elimination of sex-based inequities in registration) (Third Reading)
- Bill S-232 – An Act respecting Canadian Jewish Heritage Month (Second Reading)
- Government Motion No. 18 – Changes to the Standing Orders
This week in the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development, we heard the Spring 2016 Reports of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development. For more information on committee meetings, visit: www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
Throughout the week, I attended four meetings and one event, as well as recorded a radio message. As the House has adjourned until the fall, my summer updates on my time in the riding will be sent on a monthly basis towards the end of each month. If you see me around the riding this summer, please say hi!