Parliament Update – Week of November 14, 2016
This week in Parliament, we discussed the budget, the Canada Pension Plan, online access to violent sexual material, and controlled substances.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-16 — An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code
- Bill C-25 – An Act to amend the Canada Business Corporations Act, the Canada Cooperatives Act, the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, and the Competition Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-26 – An Act to amend the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act and the Income Tax Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-29 – Budget Implementation Act, 2016, No. 2 (Second Reading)
- Bill C-301 – An Act to amend the Income Tax Act and to make a related amendment to another Act (registered retirement income fund) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-307 – An Act to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (tamper resistance and abuse deterrence) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-309 – Gender Equality Week Act (Second Reading)
- Motion 47 – Instruction to the Standing Committee on Health (violent and sexual online material)
- Motion 64 – Italian Heritage Month
I had the opportunity to ask a question on Bill C-25 regarding the Liberal Government’s 2016 Budget. You can find my question in the November 15th Hansard on page 7 at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/107/HAN107-E.PDF.
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we reviewed The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999. We also studied Bill C-238, An Act respecting the development of a national strategy for the safe disposal of lamps containing mercury. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
This week, I attended 10 meetings and three events. My next update will be on the happenings of Parliament as it continues to sit next week.