Parliament Update – Week of November 19, 2018
The House of Commons debated the following:
- C-75 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code, the Youth Criminal Justice Act (Report Stage)
- C-81 – Accessible Canada Act (Third Reading)
- C-89 – An Act to Provide for the resumption and continuation of postal services (All stages)
- C-405 – An Act to amend the Pension Benefits Standards Act (pension plans) (Second Reading)
- S-240 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (trafficking in human organs) (Second Reading)
- M-177 – Supporting flight training schools across Canada. (Second Reading)
- Motion 194 – Instruction to the Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities (precarious employment in Canada) (First Reading)
- Motion 189 – Organ and tissue donation
- Motion 190– Skilled Workers
- CPC Opposition Motion – Finance
On Monday, I had the opportunity to sit on the House of Commons Status of Women Committee (FEWO) where we heard witnesses on the System of Shelters and Transition Houses Serving Women and Children Affected by Violence Against Women and Intimate Partner Violence.
On Tuesday, I took part in debate on Bill C-75, which includes major reforms to our criminal justice system. You can read all questions, comments and speeches in the House of Commons corresponding day’s Hansard at www.ourcommons.ca/en .
On Wednesday, the Minister of Finance delivered the 2018 Fall Economic Statement. This can be found at: https://budget.gc.ca/fes-eea/2018/docs/statement-enonce/fes-eea-2018-eng.pdf
In the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security (SECU), we continued the study on Bill C-83, An Act to amend the Corrections and Conditional Release Act which seeks to put an end to solitary confinement in favour of a new program called Structural Intervention Units (SIUs), and on Thursday, an Emergency Committee meeting briefing was held on the “Use and Misuse of INTERPOL”. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/SECU.
This week, I attended 12 meetings, 5 events as well as recorded a radio message. I will fly back to the riding over the weekend to attend local events. Look for my update next Friday on the happenings of Parliament.