Parliament Update – Week of October 1, 2018
The following was debated in the House:
• Bill C-77 – An Act to amend the National Defence Act and to make related and consequential amendments to other Acts (Second Reading)
• Bill C-78 – An Act to amend the Divorce Act, the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act and the Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act and to make consequential amendments to another (Second Reading)
• Bill C-79 – Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership Implementation Act (Report Stage and Third Reading)
• Bill C-376 – Sikh Heritage Month Act (Second Reading)
• Motion No. 155 – Filipino Heritage Month
• Motion No. 190 – Construction Labour Shortages in Toronto
• Motion No. 192 –Episodic Disabilities
• Conservative Motion – Justice for Tori Stafford
I remained in the riding on Monday and Tuesday in order to express my support of a local retired farmer who was the victim of a brutal assault on his property last year, and to attend his assaulter’s court proceedings during the victim testimony portion.
On Thursday, I participated in debate on Bill C-78, which modernizes the Divorce Act, by asking a number of questions on the legislation. You can read comments and questions from Debates on the House Publications page at www.ourcommons.ca/en.
In the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security (SECU), we continued the study on Motion No. 124, which explores the availability of automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in first responder vehicles. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/SECU.
In the Standing Joint Committee on the Library of Parliament (BILI), we met the newly appointed Parliamentary Librarian, Ms. Heather Lank. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.ca/Committees/en/BILI.
This week, I attended six meetings and one event. I will be in the riding over the weekend to attend events. Next week, I will be sailing on the HMCS Vancouver as part of the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence Parliamentary Program. Look for my update next Friday on my travels throughout the riding and beyond.