2019 Call for Nominations for Canada’s Volunteer Awards is Now Open
April 09, 2019
OTTAWA: Jim Eglinski, Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, is pleased to inform residents that Employment and Social Development Canada on April 8, 2019, announced that the 2019 Call for Nominations is now open from April 8th to June 21, 2019.
Nominees can be individuals or groups, businesses, social enterprises or non-profit organizations and must meet specific eligibility criteria. Political and public advocacy work is not eligible.
This year, 21 awards will be presented during an award ceremony in April 2020. Recipients will also have a chance to give back; regional award recipients are eligible to identify a not-for-profit organization to receive a $5,000 grant, and the national award recipient is eligible to identify a not-for-profit organization to receive a $10,000 grant.
Nominations are being accepted in the following categories:
- one national award – Thérèse Casgrain Lifelong Achievement Award for individuals who have volunteered for at least 20 years;
- five regional awards – Emerging Leader for young volunteers between the ages of 18 and 30;
- five regional awards – Community Leader for individuals or groups of volunteers;
- five regional awards – Business Leader to recognize businesses that demonstrate social responsibility in their practices, including promoting and facilitating volunteerism locally, regionally and nationally, as well as for-profit and not-for-profit social enterprises dedicated to creating social, cultural or environmental benefits for their communities; and
- five regional awards – Social Innovator to recognize the contributions of not-for-profit organizations, including not-for-profit social enterprises that find and use innovative approaches that address social challenges in their communities.
“All volunteers in the Yellowhead riding do a great job for all of us. It is now our turn to show them how much we appreciate them,” concluded MP Eglinski.
The nomination application form can be found at: https://catalogue.servicecanada.gc.ca/content/EForms/en/Detail.html?Form=hrb5040