Parliament Update – Week of October 31, 2016
This week in Parliament, with the release of the 2016 Fall Economic Statement, we largely focused on the Liberal Government’s budget and deficit. We also covered topics including poverty, the ethics around Liberal ministers’ “cash-for-access” fundraising events, and aquaculture in British Columbia.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-29 – Budget Implementation Act, 2016, No. 2 (Second Reading)
- Bill C-26 – An Act to amend the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act and the Income Tax Act (CPP) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-306 – Crimean Tatar Deportation (“Sürgünlik”) Memorial Day Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-228 – An Act to amend the Fisheries Act (closed containment aquaculture) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-245 – Poverty Reduction Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-311 – An Act to amend the Holidays Act (Remembrance Day) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-235 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Corrections and Conditional Release Act (fetal alcohol disorder) (Second Reading)
- CPC Opposition Motion – Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner
- Motion 10 – Fall Economic Statement
On Friday, I presented a petition requesting that the government appoint a Minister for Seniors as well as develop a National Strategy for Seniors. Also on Friday, I asked the Liberal Government how it is planning to provide income disaster relief to the agricultural sector in our riding, especially Brazeau County. Finally, I asked a question during debate on C-26, and two questions during debate on C-306. You can read my above comments and questions on Friday’s Hansard at http://www.parl.gc.ca/housechamberbusiness/ChamberSittings.aspx.
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we reviewed federal protected areas and conservation objectives. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
This week, I attended seven meetings and five events. As Parliament will be down next week, my following update will be on my travels, meetings, and events in the riding.