Parliament Update – Week of December 12, 2016
We enjoyed a short, but busy, week in the House of Commons as we prepared for the winter break. We discussed Budget 2016, the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), the criminal code, and registered retirement income funds.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-29 – Budget Implementation Act, 2016, No. 2
- Bill C-30 – An Act to implement the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between Canada and the European Union and its Member States and to provide for certain other measures (Second Reading)
- Bill C-31 – An Act to implement the Free Trade Agreement between Canada and Ukraine (Second Reading)
- Bill C-235 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Corrections and Conditional Release Act (fetal alcohol disorder) (Defeated at Second Reading)
- Bill C-301 – An Act to amend the Income Tax Act and to make a related amendment to another Act (registered retirement income fund) (Second Reading)
- Bill S-4 – Tax Convention and Arrangement Implementation Act, 2016 (Passed)
I am pleased to inform you that a motion many of you have been following, M-47, has been unanimously passed. This motion by MP Arnold Viersen instructs the Standing Committee on Health “. . . to examine the public health effects of the ease of access and viewing of online violent and degrading sexually explicit material on children, women and men.” This is a great initiative, as Parliament has not studied the effects of violent sexually explicit material since the 1985 Special Committee on Pornography and Prostitution.
On Tuesday, I participated in the debate on C-31. You can read my comments and questions at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/House/421/Debates/127/HAN127-E.PDF (pages 31 to 33).
In the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (ENVI), we continued to study Bill C-18, An Act to amend the Rouge National Urban Park Act, the Parks Canada Agency Act and the Canada National Parks Act. We also discussed federal protected areas and conservation objectives. For more information on these meetings, visit: www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ENVI.
This week, I attended 7 meetings and 3 events. I will be back in the riding to attend an event on Friday evening.
As Parliament adjourned for winter break on Wednesday evening, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a safe holiday season. My next update will be in the New Year.