Parliament Update – Week of May 7, 2018
This week, we covered topics including carbon pricing, procurement, public health, and harassment in the workplace.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-21 – An Act to amend the Customs Act (Third Reading)
- Bill C-65 – An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code (harassment and violence), the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act and the Budget Implementation Act, 2017, No. 1 (Third Reading)
- Bill C-76 – Elections Modernization Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-326 – An Act to amend the Department of Health Act (drinking water guidelines) (Report Stage)
- Bill C-354 – An Act to amend the Department of Public Works and Government Services Act (use of wood) (Third Reading)
- Bill S-218 – Latin American Heritage Month Act (Second Reading)
- Motion No. 161 – Record Suspension Program
- CPC Motion – Carbon Pricing
- Bill C-49 – An Act to amend the Canada Transportation Act (Senate Amendments)
- Bill C-377 – An Act to change the name of the electoral district of Châteauguay—Lacolle (Third Reading)
On Wednesday, I participated in debate on Bill C-354, which would require the federal government, when awarding contracts related to construction, to give preferential treatment to projects that promote the use of wood over steel and other building materials. You can read comments, speeches, and debates in the House on the corresponding day’s Hansard at www.ourcommons.ca/en .
In the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage (CHPC), we continued our study on gender parity on the boards and senior leadership levels of Canadian artistic and cultural organizations. The Committee did not sit on Thursday to accommodate Members attending the funeral for MP Gord Brown, who passed away last week. For more information on these meetings, visit the CHPC Committee website at www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/CHPC .
This week, I attended nine meetings and three events, as well as recorded a message. I will return to the riding on Friday evening and remain in the Yellowhead region next week as the House will be down. Look for my update on Friday on my travels throughout the riding.