Parliament Update – Week of October 2, 2017
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-48 – Oil Tanker Moratorium Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-57 – An Act to amend the Federal Sustainable Development Act (Second Reading)
- Bill C-315 – An Act to amend the Parks Canada Agency Act (Conservation of National Historic Sites Account) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-343 – Act respecting the Federal Ombudsman for Victims of Criminal Acts (Second Reading)
- Bill C-349 – An Act to amend the Criminal Code and to make consequential amendments to other acts (criminal organization) (Second Reading)
- Bill S-226 – Justice for Victims of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act (Sergei Magnitsky Law) (Third Reading)
- Bill S-232 – Canadian Jewish Heritage Month Act (Second Reading)
- Opposition Motion (CPC) – Consultations on proposed tax changes
- Opposition Motion (NDP) – Pharmacare
On Thursday, I took part in debate on the NDP’s Opposition Motion, which calls on the Government of Canada to commence negotiations with the Provinces in order to implement a universal pharmacare program.
Also on Thursday, I gave a statement in the House of Commons concerning the recent shooting in Las Vegas. This shooting impacted Canadians across the country, including our own Town of Jasper. I offer my most heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those injured and killed in this tragedy.
You can read my comments from debates, as well as my above mentioned statement, on the corresponding day’s Hansard on the House Publications page at www.ourcommons.ca/en.
In the Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology (INDU), we continued the consideration of a draft report for a study on intellectual property and technology transfer. We also heard witnesses for our study on Canada’s anti-spam laws. For more information on these meetings, visit the INDU Committee website at www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/INDU.
This week, I attended 12 meetings and 2 events, as well as recorded a radio message. Look for my update on my time in the riding as I will be back in Yellowhead for the Thanksgiving break.