Parliament Update – Week of September 18, 2017
This week Parliament reconvened for the fall session.
The following was debated in the House:
- Bill C-21 – An Act to amend the Customs Act (Second Reading)
- Bill S-2 – An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and to make a consequential amendment to another Act (Second Reading)
- Bill S-231 – An Act to amend the Canada Evidence Act and the Criminal Code (protection of journalistic sources) (Report Stage)
- Private Motion No. 126 – Portuguese Heritage Month
- Bill C-47 – An Act to amend the Export and Import Permits Act and the Criminal Code (amendments permitting the accession to the Arms Trade Treaty and other amendments) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-338 – An Act to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (punishment) (Second Reading)
- Bill C-58 – An Act to amend the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act and to make consequential amendment other Acts (Second Reading)
- Bill C-326 – An Act to amend the Department of Health Act (drinking water guidelines) (Second Reading)
On Monday, I participated in debate on Bill C-21, which builds on an agreement between former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and former President Barack Obama to strengthen the security and economic competitiveness in both countries.
On Tuesday, I participated in debate on Bill S-2, which includes amendments that would give the Minister of Transport the power to order companies to issue recall notices and make manufacturers and importers repair recalled vehicles at no cost to consumer.
On Thursday, I participated in debate on Bill C-47, which would officially bring Canada into line with the UN Arms Trade Treaty. To read my comments on any of the above bills, visit the corresponding day’s Hansard on the House Publications page at www.ourcommons.ca/en.
As announced earlier this week, I have been named as a member of the Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology (INDU). This week, we began consideration of a draft report for a study on intellectual property and technology transfer. For more information on these meetings, visit the INDU Committee website at www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/INDU.
This week, I attended seven meetings and one event. I also taped a message for local radio. I will be back in the riding for the weekend to attend two events in the area. Look for my update next Friday on the happenings in Parliament.